Your healthy smile needs proper care and attention. If you lack the knowledge on proper tooth care, an electric toothbrush can be a big help in making sure your teeth are brushed the right way. An electric toothbrush is an excellent alternative to brushing with a traditional toothbrush, and sometimes, is highly recommended by your dentist for multiple reasons regarding your oral health. Here are the benefits of switching to an electric toothbrush if you haven’t already.
Benefits of Electric Toothbrushes
While it is still up to you to brush your teeth at least twice a day for two minutes long, electric toothbrushes help to improve your brushing technique in six important ways.
- They help with reaching all tooth surfaces.
- The grip is wide and easier to handle than a traditional toothbrush.
- Bristles are interchangeable, so if your dentist wants you using softer bristles, you can easily opt for softer bristles without replacing the entire toothbrush.
- They are designed to fit comfortably in any size mouth.
- The brush does all the work for you as it has adjustable settings.
- The action of the bristles removes more plaque and gingivitis.
A study shows that after one month of use, plaque was significantly reduced by 11 percent. After use for three months, plaque was reduced by 21 percent. Gingivitis was also reduced by 6 to 11 percent after an average of two month’s usage.
How to Select Your Electric Toothbrush
There are multiple types of power toothbrushes to choose from. Some models include a timer, which switches off after two minutes, while the mobility of some vibrates side to side or rotates back and forth. When selecting a toothbrush, consider:
- ease of use
- bristle design
- brush size
Have questions about electric toothbrushes? Visit Dr. Bruce Silva to discuss the best action for you to take regarding your dental health care.