April 22, 2017 is Earth Day, which means it’s a chance for all of us to help spread environmental and climate literacy. At the office of Dr. Bruce Silva, every day is Earth Day because we practice “Green Dentistry.” This means we use only the safest and most environmentally sustainable dental practices. By doing this, we reduce our carbon footprint, improve your health benefits, and better the environment.
You can help celebrate Earth Day too. Being more eco-friendly takes practice, but you can start making a big difference right away by just caring for your teeth properly. Here’s how:
- Turn off the tap – Water adds up. Turning off the water while you brush can save up to 3,000 gallons of water each year.
- Don’t brush too long – Brushing your teeth shouldn’t take that long to do. This is another way to conserve water. If you brush for a long period of time and hard, you may brush off the tooth enamel that is meant to protect your teeth.
- Use a toothpaste with less chemicals – Seek out healthier options without sugary flavoring additives and fluoride-free options.
- Go to a Green Dentist like Dr. Silva – A green dentist strives for healthy dentistry while reducing the chemical effects on patients and the environment.
- Recycle your toothbrush – Some recycling facilities now make it acceptable to recycle your toothbrush. Although made out of plastic, the toothbrush also contains nylon bristles and a metal staple so you may have to separate these parts. Consider purchasing a toothbrush with a recyclable top or one made from plant-based materials.
Help Dr. Bruce Silva celebrate Earth Day every day. Let us know what other practices you do to be more eco-friendly.