Now that the summer is here, you now have a higher chance of damaging your healthy smile. If you are out of your normal routine of traveling from home to work and back, chances of you harming yourself, or even your teeth, may go up depending on your summer activities. Protect yourself from the sun while you also take precautions for your teeth. Here’s how to keep your teeth happy and healthy.
1. Did you know that it is important to brush your teeth after swimming in a chlorinated pool? High levels of chlorine can weaken your teeth so brush up once you dry up.
2. It is definitely time to protect your mouth as summer is a time for outdoor activities and sports. Utilize a mouth guard to protect your teeth, cheeks, gums, and lips. It could help prevent against a knocked out or chipped tooth. Mouth guards also prevent you from grinding your teeth.
3. A great way to cause fractures in your teeth is to use them as a bottle opener. If you’re drinking alcohol this summer, open your bottles the correct way. Also, avoid using your teeth for opening bags of chips or crushing ice.
4. During the South Texas months of summer, you’re going to experience extreme highs in the temperature. Stay hydrated as it helps to prevent tooth decay and protects your gums, as well. Saliva is an integral part of fighting against decay and bad breath.
5. Protect your smile from the sun! Your teeth don’t sunburn but your lips do and they are the most susceptible to it. Use a lip balm with a minimum of SPF 15, which is designated for your lips over sunscreen. Reapply every few hours.
And finally, as always, remember to brush twice a day, floss daily, and smile big as your summer is sure to be full of fun and memories. If you experience fractured or knocked out teeth, call Dr. Bruce Silva and we’ll help restore your healthy smile right away.